‘The Marari Beach Resort’, Alleppey, Kerala
Before we made a booking, we went through poor reviews of this resort on various website, blogs etc. and actually those poor reviews aren’t worth the ratings, since I personally felt that they are biased. Let me clear something before you read my detailed review…
– Marari Beach Resort employees are service oriented staff. They don’t look only for foreigners (based on two of the user reviews on Trip Advisor), they serve every single guest with same courtesy, indeed with the same warmth and when I say warmth, I mean it.
– In house guests are always taken complete care with highest priority, so don’t go by complaints from the day restaurant visitors. They (staff) are so courteous that they will go out of their way to cook something which may not even be available on their set menu.
– I read about complaints of bugs in the washroom in few reviews. The truth is, washrooms are beautiful and fresh. Since it is an open air washroom, it is likely possible that lights may attract few bugs, nevertheless, if you are attending nature’s call, just turn on the overhead fan and you are good against bugs. Technically, if any property is within nature, you must accept birds, bugs, butterflies etc., what’s the big deal? You will find similar intrusion in the likes of Wild Flower Hall, The Tamara Coorg, Ananda in the Himalayas etc.
We wanted to go for a vacation and the choices we had were few: Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Rajasthan for a laid back 4-5 days of vacation. After researching on internet for almost a month and checking out reviews, we opted to book ‘Marari Beach Resort’. Following is what you would be definitely keen to know:
We arrived on time and were welcomed with Cold refreshing wet towels with fresh coconut water.
- We were guided to our villa, which was a ‘private pool villa’.
- – There was no TV, which is the best part, since we were able to spend more time together talking.
The hotel is an eco-friendly hotel, which implies you must not expect much gadgets and tools (However free Wi-Fi is available for resident guests).
– Ayurveda centre is one of the best in India. The medical doctor will speak with you and then suggest what exactly you require followed by the Ayurveda doctor consultation.
- The masseurs are from heaven. They know each and every single nerve. I personally love spa and keep on pampering my body, but this experience was heavenly. I will recommend all of you to have deep tissue massage (I think the traditional name was Abhayangama, but you can check this from the consulting doctor). Two male masseurs for mens or two female masseurs for women (expert in Kerala ancient martial arts) will be assigned and their chemistry is so good that you will feel there is only one person. Easily, the best experience I ever had!
- There are two restaurants, Chakra, a traditional one and the Grill shack, both are decent.
Don’t miss out on visiting the adjoining butterfly garden, music class (yes, at 10 AM, a music teacher can give you few lessons and by the way he is a Grade 3 certified Musician), Harvesting and Local Tea Cart at 4 PM who serves one of the great filter coffee and tea.
You can also cook yourself from freshly harvested vegetables ant another restaurant along with the chef’s escorting you. This comes with an additional cost of Rs. 2000/- per head.
- Highly recommended for families with children as the staff will always be ahead to support you.
- – Beautiful live classical Carnatic music for classical lovers. By the way, the Executive Chef will sing from time to time and he is really good.
- – Club house, Swimming pool (max 8 feet, Olympic size) and Outdoor sports are available.
Beach is one of the best beaches in India, however tides are higher than normal, but absolutely clean beach.
Many activities for children such as drawing, feeding fishes etc.
- – Ayurveda center will be having doctors available and you can fix appointments with them for consultations. In case of medical emergencies, on call doctors are also available.
- – Shop has a decent collection of handicraft items, spices, ethnic wear, souvenirs and books.
- – The best part is the service. Whatever you ask for, if possible, every staff will be willing to do so.
Just for your information, there is no room service. Whatever is available at the minibar, you can consume that if you feel munching on some snacks or beverages near your pool (in case of private pool villa). Also remember, this resort doesn’t serves alcohol, so in case you need a hard beverage, consult from one of the staff or arrange from outside and can have it in your villa.
The food is not the best but it certainly is very good organic food made with home grown spices, not bad at all and yes, they serve rain water. All I can say is, the resort is worth the price.
I this this is the best resort in Alleppey, since I haven’t come close to any other similar property yet. Book it!