It was our second wedding anniversary. Honestly for the same price we had several other options all the way from Vivanta by Taj to Zuri White Sands to Lalit Golf Resort et al for these specific days and we were bit confused to choose among these, also that it was a peak season time. We chose Cidade De Goa at random since this was one of the least popular among all these popular brands though still standing tall in terms of ratings i.e. 4.3 out of 5 from over 590 reviews on google. Also, Cidade has a good Spa, Private Beach (sort of), Swimming Pool for kids and it’s location in Goa (the Centre) which we will talk about later.
The time we arrived at Cidade De Goa, we discussed among ourselves whether this is even a good hotel/resort or not. Property looked old, nevertheless, the staff and other employees were well behaved, friendly and courteous. Below are few things that I think you should know before you plan a vacation to Goa for the first time:
- – If you are visiting Goa for the first time, I strictly recommends at least 3 nights.
- – Very first day, you can visit local places such as Panjim Market, Calangute Beach (very crowded),
Bagha Beach (very crowded), Churches in Old Goa, Spice farms, Majorda (a beautiful secluded white sand beach) etc. Yes, you can do this in one whole day with lunch at Spice Farms and dinner back at hotel or at Majorda beach shacks.
– Rest of the two days you can spend at the hotel and you will miss nothing. If you are a party person, you can visit Goa again sometimes later, but first it is highly recommended to understand the terrain, climate and the natural beauty of Goa.
Detailed Review of Cidade De Goa:
- Within the embanked facade of Cidade, you have a great expanse with fresh air, a vivid symbolism as well as chiseled tone compute to the ambiance of the very Mediterranean structure with an elated use of colors.
- We stayed for three nights and requested two separate rooms after first and second night, for a change, which was accepted by the front office manager.
- We were welcomed with a cooler and were guided to our room.
- I wasn’t aware that my wife had already bought a gift online and got it delivered to the hotel in advance, who upon our arrival (the very first evening) surprised us (at-least me) with a bouquet, my gift and a delicious cake made of fresh tropical fruits. Flowers and Bouquet we from the hotel staff. Which is a great thing to receive irrespective of busy season.
- We relaxed for a while, enjoyed shopping in a nearby market in Panjim and returned to the hotel for dinner at one of their contemporary restaurants, ‘Alfama’, which had a Goan festival running then. Food was alright, but very Portuguese theme, absolutely beautiful.
- For breakfast, you have various option, however ‘Laranja’ serves the breakfast buffets. The buffet was alright but their bacon was delicious. It was even better than what we have had at Coorg which is another known place popular for meats.
- Hotel is flexible to accommodate guest’s requests, very friendly staff and managers at restaurants are very good (on one of the instances, our order was delayed by 10 minutes and we questioned the manager at ‘Barbeque’ restaurant and he ensured the best service till we ended our dinner, totally worth it. This is how staff should accommodate their clients which lacks in many hotels now a days even after paying a hefty price.
- For young couples with toddlers below six, there is a day care option ‘Kidade’ on chargeable basis. Place your children and run for a rejuvenating massage therapy at their spa (Ayurveda as well as Far Eastern techniques).
- Swimming pool is clean and beautiful and water is cleansed by the filters every day which also happens to be ozonized, so don’t worry, there is no chlorine.
- There are several indoor games such as board games, video games (Play Station/Wii), 8 balls table, table tennis, Badminton etc.
- Outdoor activities include Swimming pool adjoining kiddie’s pool, giant chess, volley ball, tennis, beach cricket or beach football etc.
- Baby crib as well as baby eating chair can be requested.
- I believe all rooms are sea facing ones. There are various categories: Suites, Deluxe Rooms, Classic Rooms and Superior rooms. I believe we booked Premium room since Classic isn’t allowed for families with infants. Nevertheless, we had one of the best views in the entire property.
- They have a shopping Centre within the property where you can buy those out of the world Goa Tees and beach equipment.
- Beach restaurant ‘Barbeque’ (a la carte) has a wide range of seafood. Other restaurants have either Buffet or A La Carte.
- Food is alright, nothing super special about it (Bacon is however unbelievably delicious). I won’t say that restaurants have the greatest taste among the competitors, nevertheless, the ambience fills these gaps.
- Service is good for all. Few hotels are more concerned about the expats, that we haven’t felt here.
- Great Beach with a sitting area, sand castle area, activities such as banana boat ride, Jet skis, ferry rides etc.
- By the way, Casino is closed.
Long story short, the day we left the Hotel was sold out else we had made up out mind to extend our vacations. Guys, if you are going with your family, this is a good place to be. We came to Goa for the first time and honestly we felt that if we wouldn’t have gone out to see Goa, we would have enjoyed much more in this Hotel itself.
Great sea facing rooms, beautiful and clean beach with water sports, great bar with live jazz music, great breakfast buffet (especially cold cuts and live counters), great pool especially for children.
We look forward visiting Goa again and we will certainly won’t mind staying at Cidade De Goa again. Our wedding anniversary went the way we wanted. Cidade De Goa for kept us happy and satisfied!